Mall collapse investigators won't rule out criminal charges 0
The provincial police have not ruled out criminal charges following the deadly collapse of a mall roof in this northern Ontario city.
A day after two bodies were pulled from the rubble of the Algo Centre Mall, as frantic attempts to find survivors in Saturday's cave-in ended in heartbreak, Ontario Provincial Police, the provincial labour ministry and the coroner's office continued to investigate the circumstances of the collapse.
"They are looking at the why - why this happened and what contributed to this collapse," said Dan Hefkey, Ontario's commissioner of community safety.
Const. Marc Depatie said the investigation could take several months.
"Should any criminal malfeasance be determined by our investigation then obviously we would consult our Crown attorney to pursue criminal charges against any person identified as responsible," Depatie said.
That could include criminal negligence, but warned it is too early in the investigation to speculate.
Residents have frequently complained of water leaks from the roof. Several repairs have been made over recent years, but problems continued.
The mall owner has been silent so far. Only the city's CAO appears to have spoken to a representative of the mall's ownership.
Premier Dalton McGuinty, who met with local authorities on Thursday morning, said the provincial inspection reports of the mall will be made public.
"Once those preliminary investigations have been conducted, we'll be in a better position to determine what kind of review we could put in place to give people assurance that things that needed to be done were in fact done, or if they weren't done ... to draw what lessons we can from that," McGuinty said.
Do you think the province was prompt enough in its response to the tragic mall collapse in Elliot Lake?