Fire causes severe damage to Firehall Pizza Co. 0
A carelessly tossed cigarette may be to blame for a fire at a restaurant in the Village at Blue Mountain.
The Blue Mountains Fire Department was called to Firehall Pizza Co. just after 3 a.m Sunday.
“The fire was basically coming out the side of the roof,” said Deputy Fire Chief A.J Lake.
Though the cause of the fire is not known, the Blue Mountains fire department have their speculations.
“We strongly suspect it was careless cigarette disposal,” said Lake. “We are sure it was started outside in a mulch garden.”
The fire department responded to another fire in a mulch garden earlier in the morning; in that case, the cause was determined to be a cigarette.
Lake says it's suspected the fire had been smouldering for a while, and with windy conditions it took flame and spread to the restaurant.
The fire originated in the ground, went up the rear wall and into the cedar roof. Lake says once a fire is in the roof, it is harder for firefighters to contain.
“Our crews did an awesome job containing the fire,” said Lake.
Lake says the restaurant will be closed “for some time” because of fire and water damage.
“The sprinkler system was activated so there is extensive water damage,” he said.
Owner Bill Vomvolakis could not be reached for comment.
Lake says the dry conditions were a factor in this fire and the Blue Mountains Fire Department recommends property owners increase their watering and do visual inspections of their properties.
“You can put on all the fire bans you want, but you can't do anything about careless smokers,” said Lake.