Firehall Pizza Co. fire was "bad timing": owner 0
The Fire Hall Pizza Co. at Blue Mountains
Firehall Pizza Co. will likely be closed the rest of the summer after a fire early Sunday morning, says owner Bill Vomvolakis.
Blue Mountains Fire Department says the fire likely started from a carelessly disposed cigarette in a mulch garden next to the restaurant.
Vomvolakis says several variables went wrong – the windy conditions that picked up the flame, the staff had just left, the cleaning staff was later than usual, and the security guards didn't go around that side of the building.
“Everything worked against us, it's one of those freaky things,” he said. “It happens, you got to just build on it and go forward.”
Vomvolakis says it is too soon to assess the extent of the damage before the structural engineer takes a look. The restaurant has to deal with two insurance companies, which could slow down the process, since the fire originated outside.
“A lot of it is water damage. There is fire damage on the roof and the back door,” said Vomvolakis. “We don't know how much has to be done until we start taking things out, peeling them back.”
The staff are covered by insurance and will continue to be paid while the restaurant is closed.
“A lot of them are relocating,” said Vomvolakis. “With one restaurant being out of commission in the village, the other restaurants are taking on a bigger load.”
Vomvolakis is also owner of Tholos, and has transferred some staff there.
The restauranteur says July and August are a busy time for the Village at Blue Mountain.
“I was almost sick to my stomach when I saw it. But then common sense comes into the equation,” said Vomvolakis. “Now we get a chance to slick it up.”
Firehall Pizza Co.'s neighbour, The Chocolate Factory, had minor smoke damage and is expected to reopen soon.